Wednesday 30 March 2011

Pick a direction.

Forgive me if I wander on this post in this post, but I can’t make it fit into a specific order or direction. Nor is it making lots of sense. I’m not sure if that bothers me or not.

A while ago there was an American song that struck a chord with me. The verse was (and I’m quoting here):

“Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.”

After doing a little digging, it’s from a song by Baz Luhrman, called ‘Wear Sunscreen’. The lyrics are from a Chicago Tribune column by Mary Schmich Here. It’s worth a read if you don’t know It.. It’s a bit lengthy to post the whole thing.

I like the post, but the sentiment, when sung, was as if secret but strangely melancholy information was being passed to a secret few.

I’m trying to say that with the exception of knowing that I would be an astronaut (when I was five), I have never had much direction. I’ve always drifted from one vocation to the next. Although I keep jobs for much longer than I did in my late teens, I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. This is handy when life throws me a curveball.

But when things are just coasting along, it tends to drive those close to me crazy.

I mentioned this song to my wife (who is driven, organised and goal oriented) and she confirmed that she hates it. Maybe because like me it wanders along?

 

One of the few things I keep going back to is walking. I can’t walk the furthest, or fastest. I’ll certainly never be the fittest. But it’s in the blood:… Waking in the morning. The air crisp on my face with a midsummer AM chill. My legs still slightly stiff from the night before… Sharing stories and jokes round a fire with a few friends with a few drinks… Remembering what I did, instead of hearing what someone else thought about doing, at work on Monday.

These things bring a smile to my face and I know that no matter where my path ends, I will enjoy getting there more than most.

Maybe, just maybe, my perfect job is out there waiting for me.